Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Getting started


About a year and 1/2 ago I started getting the gardening bug. I had been doing a lot of reading on alternative energy, alternative housing styles, healthier living and many other related topics. During this time of course I read many articles on gardening and the benefits of eating fresher foods. Once I got the bug, I began reading and researching as much as I could on gardening.

The trouble is I'm lazy. This meant I had to find something easy that would also produce food or I might never garden again. Enter Masanobu Fukuoka. His idea was to let mother nature do all the work, after all she has millions of years of experience. He would literally throw seeds into the fields, let them grow, throw down new seeds and harvest the previous crop while the new crop was growing under it. No plowing no weeding nothing. The plants took care of themselves much like they had since long before man had invented the plow.

How does that method fit into my small backyard? It doesn't, exactly. So I had to find something that would fit and still allow me to be the lazy guy I am. Then I ran into Mel Bartholomew's square foot gardening and found something that fit all my needs. Mel's system of garden boxes allows me to garden without taking up valuable yard space while limiting access to critters and weeds that would like to make the garden their own.

I slightly blended and modified the methods above to suit my needs. In future posts I will talk about the boxes and mixes I used and post pictures showing the results. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures showing the step by step process of building the boxes. That's OK, because between the pictures and Mel's site you should have no problem building boxes that can work for you. Feel free to ask questions and I will help where I can.


Photos taken with Canon Powershot A570is

No comments: