Monday, May 5, 2008

Dresser Planter update


Well, there it is in all its glory. Turned out pretty good if I do say so myself, and I do.

We planted strawberries in the bottom 2 drawers and basil, rosemary and sweet fennel in the top. They have been in for a few days now and seem to be going strong so I am hopeful we will have some for use this summer.

The plants are supposedly organic so that helps considering our goal is to have chemical free veggies from this.

All we did was get some cheap potting soil as well as 3 kinds of compost to mix together. The compost was chicken manure, mushroom compost and a mixed blend of 5 organic items as well. I also put in a little of the organic Miracle Grow so now all I have to do is sit back and wait.


Photos taken with Canon Powershot A570is

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha this thing is awesome. it'd be cool to have some kind of plants that flows over the side to make a waterfall type effect. But nonetheless I really dig the dresser herbs =P

Tracy said...

I hope to have it a bit fuller this year. I'm probably going to put some strawberries on either side and do just what you are suggesting, but it really depends on how well it stood the winter. It's not looking too good :)

Pretty soon I'm going to start a bunch of beans and sugar peas in coffee containers to put in front of those windows as well. Do my best to limit the heat we get through them this summer.

I'm sort of envisioning a dense wall of vines blocking out all direct light so we'll see how it works.

Unknown said...

VERY CUTE IDEA I HAVE AN OLD DRESER SO MAY HAVE TO GET HUBBY TO FIX THE TOP FOR ME.