Monday, May 12, 2008

Casualties of War

So the invasion begins.

Bluebirds have started attacking my corn plant seedlings. The strange thing is, these particular plants haven't even broken the surface yet and now I have little cornstalk bodies laying broken next to freshly dug holes. And the worst part is they aren't even eating them, they just spit them out.

Last year they didn't even give them a second glance, even when there was actually corn growing on them. Another odd thing is that we have strawberries, I mean actual berries, growing less then 10 feet away in the dresser and they don't even look in their direction. I guess I should be grateful for that but I'm not. They killed my babies.

So now the war is on. If it were legal, I'd consider getting a pellet gun and having a little target practice. Then I could do a little research and post a review for bluebird pie or something. As it is I have to be content with a high powered hose and the satisfaction of a well aimed shot.

Of course that isn't all I have to do because I can't be sitting here watching the plants all day. That would go against most peoples concept of common sense as well as my own form of lazy square foot gardening so as fun as it sounds, that idea is out the window.

So instead I have to relocate the frames I used to hold the peas last year, which of course I had planned to do anyway, I was just trying to see how long I could put that particular task off. See what a lifetime of procrastination has gotten me? Well, enough of my complaining, I've got work to do.

2 comments:

Peak Oil Hausfrau said...

Hi Tracy - I had to get 4 metal fence stakes (the cheap green kind you get at Home Depot), place them around my garden patch, and cover with bird netting, being sure to secure the net to the ground with something (I use bricks). Works like a charm. And you can still water through it.

Tracy said...

Thank you Hausfrau, I'll do that when I get set up for next year.

Later today I will also update this blog. I've been avoiding it since I was beaten by the birds.

Here I am, a full grown man, taken down by 2 or 3 birds. The shame...